Categories :
Hours:
24-7

Academia Roofing & Attics

Company Profile

ACADEMIA IS PROFICIENT IN ALL ASPECTS OF ROOFING.SHINGLE AND FLAT ROOFS AND ALL OTHER TYPES OF SPECIALITY ROOFS INCLUDING CEDAR,METAL,SLATE AND SYNTHETICS.WE REPAIR ALL THESE ROOFS AND ESPECIALLY ENJOY CHALLENGES WHERE OTHER'S HAVE FAILED.CUSTOM METAL WORK INCLUDING,GUTTERS,DOWNPIPES,

more...
Servicing:

Toronto

Reviews for Academia Roofing & Attics

Show:

Mar 03, 2014, Thornhill

I would say to anybody looking for a contractor to do any job in the attic, talk to Gordon first. As much as I didn't want to get into the nitty gritty details of the attic ventilation, I realized I had no choice after I had talked to Gordon. He explained what should be done and how and more importantly what should not be done. I've had several projects in my house have gone sour because I didn't educate myself about the possible solutions.

Feb 27, 2014, North York

I originally noticed at the foot of my skylight well that there was some brown water staining on the corner of the drywall ceiling. I originally assumed it was a flashing issue around the skylight. Our house always had uneven heating and cooling in different rooms on our second floor. I was referred to Gordon by Insta-Insulation as a ventilation expert and someone I should contact due to the low pitch nature of my roof. Gordon was able to come by within 20 minutes upon returning my phone call for a consultation to spec out a statement of work to tender out. Both unfortunately and fortunately he was able to thoroughly walk-through all the red-flag issues with my attic, duct work, and the soffits. He took the time show me all the problem areas and went over similar remediation solutions from previous projects that would apply to my house. And also outlined the bandage work-around that would cost me more money in the long-run. The breadth/depth of his knowledge and experience was incredibly valuable.

Feb 08, 2014, Newmarket

I recently discovered my attic had a light coating of frost during a recent cold snap. I was forced to check the attic when the bathroom fan stopped working. I was initially convinced it was dust or other debris. After cleaning and checking the connections I discovered there was a little bit of water in the sock and that’s when I thought I should check the attic. I was dismayed to find the frost in the attic as the attic never had these issues. I religiously check the attic 3 times a year and a month before it was fine. The only thing that really changed was earlier in the year a new roof was installed with additional vents by a previous roofer. After calling the roofer and our handyman they advised me that some frost is normal in the attic. That may be the case if there was frost only on the nails but there was a fair amount along the wood too. My opinion is that any frost or water in the attic is too much and something must be wrong. Discouraged to hear this from professionals, I did some research on the problem and to see if anyone could help…..and that’s when I found Gordon. His reviews and information about him was impressive. I contacted him and found him to be well knowledgeable and educated on roofing/attics/gutters. He tried to explain a couple of theories over the phone but we both agreed that something must be wrong with the new roofing system put in by the roofer. We setup for a date for an onsite consultation so the exact cause of the problem could be verified. He confirmed the attic had minor pre-existing issues that may have contributed to the frosting but he did verify the main catalyst was not only the additional venting but how it was installed. 1.) Too many vents for a small attic 2.) They were put to close together 3.) The biggest problem: The vents were installed on different sides which caused them to work together or compete which messed up the air flow. Traditionally vents should be installed side by side on the same side, distributed evenly to ensure even air flow and venting of the attic. I was also disappointed to find out that that one of the vents was installed to close on the top part of the roof which weakened the wood and broke a piece which means if I stepped on that specific section I would go through the roof. We also found out the socks had blocks of ICE due to poor connections on both ENDS of the bathroom fans. Gordon did advise me the best time to this job would have been when the roof was done but unfortunately that time was passed. Due the small size of the attic this job would be extremely difficult and he would have to improvise in some areas. He only took this job because he was training his colleague Ferdinand and it would be a good learning experience. I was thankful because I was concerned about damage to the wood and MOLD. He did tell me there was a real possibility that he could go through the ceiling because of the space he was working with but thankfully that didnt happen. I felt Gord was right for the job because he sounded like he knew what was talking about and he would do the right job. In addition to putting in new venting (Maxi-Vent)/removing old venting, he topped up my attic with additional insulation, cleaned my soffits (which was a hard and difficult job due to the confined space in the attic), replace attic hatch, put in a new bathroom fan (including vapor barriers, installed new steel vents in the front of the house including the garage to vent out CO. He also addressed further minor issues without asking for the additional money. Gordon and crew including Ferdinand did a fantastic job in the attic and they were really careful not to go through the ceiling. He also ensured that everything was organized and clean before he left which shows someone who cares about your home. The house feels warmer and the heater runs 1.5 hours less. The best part is they worked to address my problem fully even though it was really cold and the roof had snow. They both took pride in their work and ensured everything was completed to my satisfaction which it was. It was worth the money to ensure I would not have any more problems in the attic which is the most critical part of the house. Finally Gordon pointed out some minor problems with the downspout which could cause big issues later on. He said he would come back in the early spring to address the issue for free. That’s what I call AWESOMENESS!! Gordon also give us a substantial discount after advising him my girlfriend and I were just starting out and we didn’t have a lot money.

Dec 08, 2013, Toronto

I have used GORDON BAILEY numerous times for roofing jobs and can praise the quality of work as being outstanding. He must read the Ontario Building code daily because he follows the code and even with other contractors that have worked on my home he calls them out on their quality and he insists they fix their work. He comes back to check on his work aft er numerous months or years. He has worked for many of my neighbours and all have been satisfied. His prices are fair -and the quality is remarkable and he stands by his work. You will never have an issue and if one arises he STANDS BY HIS WORD. Carol Frymer

Dec 04, 2013, Mount Albert

6 years ago Gordon and the Academia Roofing crew replaced our old, shabby roof with a wonderful new roof. I am sure no company likes to be called back, however that is what shows the true mettle of a professional. We developed leaking in our garage at a tricky valley area between the garage and the main house. Academia responded to our very first call and immediately dealt with the issue, quickly . We have had no further issue since. This commitment to follow through is what is missing in many areas of life now. Thanks again to Gord and Academia Roofing, our roof still looks new after 6 years!

Nov 20, 2013, Toronto

Our decision to select Academia Roofing was based initially on the reviews in Homestars (of which there were many and virtually all were filled with praise) and secondly on our in-depth meeting which entailed not only a thorough examination of the roof and the attic, but included a detailed plan to address those issues associated with the roof and attic as well as a commitment to resolve some other issues. We had purchased our house less than a year ago; the initial home inspection noted that the roof needed repair despite the fact that it had been replaced in 2009. So we hired a roofing company and in their estimation (cursory at best) only the chimney needed work ( this has always been my experience; assessments conducted by other roofers focused primarily on price based on a brief walk around the property) Ten months later, we discovered a leak and Gordon Bailey entered our lives. Needless to say, our house has been transformed. In addition to replacing the entire roof including soffit, fascia, flashing, eavestrougs, leaf covers and downspouts, he maximized ventilation, added insulation to the attic (benefits derived were immediate), he replaced the dormer window with a thermal one and redesigned the supporting framework by replacing the aluminum siding with material that resembles slate rock( the look is unique and elegant), extended the slate rock material to the second floor bay window( creates uniformity and a balanced look), replaced all window sills with limestone( all were in bad condition) and surprisingly replaced the roof on the garage. These items; the slate rock material framing the 2 wndows, the limestone window sills and the garage roof were provided without any additional cost because Gordon takes pride in his work; he is motivated by improving functionality and esthetics. It is very apparent that we were dealing with a consummate professional, one whose focus is entirely on the work and the client. In fact, our neighbours were impressed, not only with the workmanship, but with his consideration of them as well. Peace of mind is what we now have and we feel confident that Gordon will be there for us to address any concerns we might have in the future.

Company Response:
Why thank you very much Rhonda as yours was well worth the effort especially to recieve such high praise. I look forward to a long and healthy friendship.

Nov 11, 2013, Unionville

My thanks to Gordon and Carlos for trouble shooting and repairing the leak in my flat roof. Both Gordon and Carlos were easy to deal with. They were available to do the job and showed up on time when they said they would. No waiting around all day for someone to show. It was obvious that Carlos new what he was doing when it came to flat roofing. He identifed the problem quickly and made the repair. He also reassured me that if for any reason the roof still leaked, he would be back to fix it. It has not leaked since the repair. I feel the price they charged for the service was fair and I would highly recommend Gordon and Carlos. They understand what customer service means.

Company Response:
Thank-you for putting your full name along with your positive review that makes us shine as it adds true and real credibility to this review process.

Nov 07, 2013, Toronto

Gordon from Academia Roofing did an amazing job on our flat roof. Gordon is a no mess around guy who takes care of business and his crew of Carlos and Paco delivered on all that Gordon promised. They even went beyond the call of duty and stepped in to repair some rotting wood on my exterior walls that my stucco guys did not catch. Gordon even advised me to spray foam under my attachment in the back. He did it with no additional charge. Thank you and i will definitely be using you guys again in the future.

Company Response:
Thank You Sandy, I only hope that I can continue to have tradespersons like Calos continue to satisfy my demands for high end craftsmenship resulting in confidence and positive reviews such as yours. God Bless You.

Oct 26, 2013, North York

We had a stubborn leak for two years immediately after we had the roof re-shingled. The original roofer couldn’t figure out where the leak was and basically gave up on locating the source. We had three other roofers come and each had a different theory. Finally, after reviewing the glowing reports on Homestars, we contacted Academia. Gordon took the information and sent out Carlos that same day to diagnose the problem. Carlos was amazing first he examined the entire roof for a lengthy time and then went into the attic. Carlos said he will return on the next rainy day to trace where the water is coming from. As promised he returned to our home on a rainy Saturday afternoon and the leakage problem was located. I am thrilled to say that after two major rainstorms there is no more leak. My advice to people is forget using other roofers, I wasted so much money on the previous roofers when I should have gone directly to Academia. Thanks again.

Company Response:
Wow Fran you make us sound too good to be true and for this we thank-you. With Gods help we will endevour to satisfy and remember that Honor is much more worthy than money.

Oct 22, 2013, North York

Carlos came to our rescue. An ongoing persistent leak was corrected after he, with effecient determination, made the diagnosis. Gordon was a pleasure to deal with & was sympathetic to our issue. We are grateful for the professional & reliable help we received. We had other roofers attempt unsuccessfully to find a solution, but thanks to Academia Roofing, we are now happy to report that our house is dry. Our thanks & appreciation to Gordon & Carlos. Eleanor & Marty Lipson

Company Response:
Mrs. Lipson thank you for such a positive review and we do pride ourselves on proving that it is possible to shine in such a jaded industry.

Company Profile

ALLUREX LEAF SCREEN,WALL AND COUNTER FLASHINGS,DRIP EDGE,RAKE EDGECHIMNEY SADDLES,MAXIMUM VENTS,BAY WINDOWS,HAND RAILS,WINDOW AND DOOR CAPPING.ATTICS ARE ALWAYS ADDRESSED INCLUDING INSULATION REMOVAL,RACCOON,BIRD,SQUIRRELL AND BAT ENTRY PREVENTION,SPRAY FOAMING,IMPROPER OR UNSAFE ELECTRICAL,SEALING OF POT LIGHTS AND INSTALLATION OF BATHROOM AND KITCHEN FANS,COMPLETE REMOVAL AND RECONSTRUCTION OF ROOF TRUSSES,NEW CELLULOSE INSULATION,SOFFIT REMOVAL AND PROPERLY VENTED SOFFIT INSTALLED AND THE RECONSRTUCTION OF ATTIC HATCHES.NOTE;IN MOST CASES ALL WORK IS DONE FROM THE OUTSIDE THROUGH THE ROOF.WE ARE VERY EXPERIENCED IN THE ABOVE MENTIONED WORK AND PROVE IT BY PROVIDING YOU WITH PREVIOUS CLIENTS THAT WE SERVICED OVER SEVERAL YEARS.OUR ROOFS LOOK BRAND NEW 10 YEARS LATER AND PROVIDE PROOF.HEAT LOSS AND ICE DAMMING PREVENTION AND ROOFS THAT STAND THE TEST OF TIME ARE OUR GOALS. WORRY FREE SKYLIGHTS OR SUN TUNNELS INSTALLATION.CHIMNEY REPAIRS OR REBUILDS BY LICENSED MASONS INCLUDING TUCK POINTING. Roofing, Insulation, Gutters & Eavstroughs, Roofers

Products & Services

Products
STRICTLY ADHERE TO THE USE OF CertainTeed and Gaf SHINGLES,MAXIMUM VENTS, LEAF SCREEN,SOPREMA OR BAKOR TORCH DOWN,
Services
ALL ASPECTS OF ROOFING AND CUSTOM METAL WORK,CHIMNEY REPAIRS OR REBUILDS,CARPENTRY,WINDOWS,DOORS,SPRAY FOAMING,CELLULOSE INSULATION ,ANIMAL ENTRY PREVENTION.EAVESTROUGHS,BAY WINDOWS,CUSTOM METAL WORK,SLATE AND MARLEY ROOF REPAIRS OR INSTALLS,SKYLIGHTS, MOLD PREVENTION ,ALL ASPECTS RELATED TO AND IN THE ATTIC,UPGRADED VENTILATION
Brands
CertainTeed,BUCHNER,PASLODE,SOPREMA,BAKOR,KARNAK,VELUX,ARTISTIC,TREMCO SPAR-MARATHON,FIRESTONE,DEL,MAXIMUM VENT,HUDCO,MERCURY ELECTRIC,HAZ MASTERS,RIVENCO
Styles

1991
CHEQUE OR TERMS
B-10467 CITY OF TORONTO SINCE 1991 WITH 0 COMPLAINT HISTORY
CHAMBER OF COMMERCE AND BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU
$ TWO MILLION LIABILITY INCLUDING FLAT ROOFING AND WE PROVIDE YOU WITH A PHYSICAL COPY.
Fully Insured
WRITTEN CONTRACT PROVIDED
10 YEAR WARRANTY ON ALL NEW ROOFS AGAINST ANY LEAKING INCLUDING NEW SKYLIGHTS,1 YEAR ON GUTTERS,2 YE

In this week's newsletter: Best of season is in full swing!