Categories :
Hours:
8 till 6

Carmor Construction

Company Profile

Over 30 years of experience serving Toronto home owners.Services provided include total renovations,additions,custom cabinetry and fine trim work,historical restorations,porches and lots more.Fully Insured and licensed.Personalised service one customer at a time!

more...

Reviews for Carmor Construction

Show:

Dec 20, 2011, East York

Rob did a great job designing and making a glass/wood front door for my irregular shaped front entrance. It blends very well with the existing wood door. He also installed a vent to my furnace room door. Both projects were done professionally and cleaned up very nicely after the job. I know my neighbours have been happy with his work as well.

Nov 14, 2011, TORONTO

Rob, his brother Dave, his son-in-law George, and helper Vishnu spent a good portion of the summer of 2011 working on our house. We found Rob on homestars and were pretty much at the end of our rope as we'd spent the previous three springs/summers trying to find the right person to do a full restoration job on the front of our neglected 1912 house in Roncey Village. What we needed was all original wood soffits, fascia, and trim removed and replaced like for like, our enclosed porch rebuilt, and everything painted. Writing this now makes it sound simple. But this is fussy, dirty, and sometimes tricky restoration work. You never see this kind of project on HGTV. Most of the people we spoke to previously, some who came highly recommended or who had high homestars ratings, did not even respond with estimates they were so leery of our project. Others provided estimates that were so superficial or had such a high price tag, it was apparent they didn't really want to take the work on either. One homestars-10-rated guy referred to it as "a can of worms". Rob did not appear to be afraid of the job, and while his approach to estimating was a little less detailed than we would typically consider ideal, he appeared to understand straightaway that we were restoration nerds who bought an old house and didn't have any interest in changing the look of it, who were doing a lot of the restoration work ourselves, and who just wanted to make the front of our house look like it hadn't been neglected for 100 years. His years of experience, some of it restoring churches, gave us confidence that he was the guy, possibly the only guy, who could deliver what we needed, and who was willing to do so. The crazy weather this summer turned a 6 week project into 3 months, and there were, as there always are, a few bumps on the way. The replacement porch panels were late and not to spec (Rob played bad cop for us with the supplier there), our porch timbers were all rotten once we uncovered them (as were mercifully few soffit timbers), and we had some trouble finding an eavestrough installer (after some false starts, Rob found one for us). Rob filled in a bit of this slack time doing smaller projects for other people on the street. Interestingly, the visibility of our project seemed to make the street come alive with exterior renovation work to an extent we hadn't witnessed in previous years, even in 2009 (the rebate year). It is our sincere hope that we haven't singlehandedly turned Rob off doing restoration projects, because for people like us, he may be the only person left within miles of Toronto who can both do this kind of work properly and is willing to. We are not going to be the ones to spoil Rob's perfect record, but the 10 we've given him doesn't imply that Rob is perfect. Nobody is. But we can now look at our ugly duckling of a house with pride, because it's finally been restored to the modest grandeur it once had, and more. Our neighbours, some of whom we've never spoken to before, have noticed. We also hope it will inspire more of them to choose proper restoration over slapdash repair, because the difference can be profound. Pros: carpentry work solid, honoured the estimates, showed up with regularity (although the Barrie commute can be an issue), handled tricky things well (e.g., doors, capitals, moulding, rafter-tails, dormers), showed a genuine interest in helping us make good choices. Cons: sometimes dug in his heels a bit when we were critical or disagreed with him, probably will never again agree to paint (sorry everyone).

Oct 03, 2011, East York

i called carmor construction after my tenants dog fell through the deck. rob replied quickly and came by the house with an estimate within days. due to the weather the job was a little delayed from the original estimated time but when rob and his brother dave came they did a great job. and cleaned up everything when they where finished. excellent workers. i would definitely use them again and recommend them to anyone looking for work done in and around their home.

Sep 21, 2011, Toronto

The thing you have to understand with X+CARMOR CONSTRUCTION is your getting QUALITY work! It may take a little more time and a few more bucks but you will be MORE than satisfied with the materials, workmanship and customer service if you hire Rob and crew for your project.

Sep 02, 2011, North York

Working with Rob was like having an uncle do the work for you. He was pleasant, honest and fair with his recommendations and pricing. Rob's quote came in at less than half of the competition, and the quality of his work did not suffer for it. What stands out about Rob is that he is listening to your needs and is considerate of your budget in order to get the nicest possible result. Rob was also aware of the appropriate architectural style of our neighborhood and helped guide us in the right direction. He was easy to communicate with and responded quickly to e-mails and phone calls. The work site was always left clean and tidy at the end of the day. A testament to the quality of Rob's work is how many people in our neighborhood have made compliments when walking by our house. I would not hesitate to recommend Rob for any carpentry project. I know that we will be calling Rob again in the future.

Aug 05, 2011, Toronto

Rob and his workers did a great Job rebuilding our front porch. He is friendly and very knowledgeable. He was able to build perfect replacements for the 100 year old post. We have been getting many positive comments from neighbors and people passing by. We recommend Rob to all those looking to redo their front porch.

Jul 28, 2011, Toronto

Because my porch with its shifting boards, loose rails and a couple of rotting stairs was becoming a falling risk (to me and my godson who lives with me) I could no longer put off this project. I did much reading on Homestars and read reviews of different companies and their customers' impressions. I called Carmor because their customers' reviews were excellent and illustrated that this company had experience with varied projects. I called Mr. Morell and he promptly responded and came to look at my property. He appeared a trustworthy individual and listened to my concerns and many questions. I soon asked for a quote and a starting date. As he promised he was on site till the project was completed. He and his crew were punctual, courteous, neat and hardworking (as they laboured right through the recent heatwave). They will be doing another project for me in a few weeks. My porch and new fences look great and I would recommend Carmor to anyone in the city.

May 05, 2011, East York

We were very happy with the work that Rob and his team did. They replaced the front railing of our house with a beautiful cedar railing and added 2 hand rails for the front stairs. The work was done very well and quickly. Rob was very professional and polite and I would highly recommend him to friends and family in the future.

May 04, 2011, KING CITY

Rob was recommended to us to build our large entertainment deck (1800 Square Feet). The first stage (1200 Square Feet) is complete and Rob and his crew will be coming back to complete the remaining section this summer. Before starting the deck we obtained a number of quotations from different contractors. Why did we choose Rob? He made three visits to our home and spent many un-hurried hours with us discussing plans and giving us ideas. It was obvious that his knowledge of deck building was superior to anyone else that we had met. His quote was detailed and comprehensive and easy to understand. How successful was the project? My wife and I are absolutely delighted with the results. The workmanship is exceptional – Rob went out of his way to make sure things were done right. He is a true craftsman that takes immense pride in his work – even taking time to hand select the material (cedar) used for the construction. Rob also made a tremendous effort to accommodate our time lines – we wanted the first stage of the project finished in time for our son’s engagement party – Rob and his crew worked long days, weekends and even went to the trouble of re-arranging his holiday to meet the deadline. The 150 people that attended the engagement party were extremely impressed with the look and construction of the deck. Rob is an honest upright old world craftsman who keeps to his quote and word. I would recommend him and his team without hesitation. If you want carpentry done that you will be delighted with – choose Rob - you will not be sorry.

Dec 13, 2010, Toronto

Anyone looking for good value, trustworthy and real craftsmanship should give Robert a call. When we decided to re-do our front porch and stairs we got 4 quotes. Robert was the wild card and we found him off of this website. All four quotes were within the same range. 3 contractors said that they could get it done in less than five days and provided us with a beautiful quote and spent approximately 15 minutes with us going over the scope of the project. Robert did not. Robert spent over an hour at our first meeting discussing options and different type of wood. He then gave us a verbal ball park quote and told us he needed 10 days to complete. We were surprised and asked why he needed twice as long as the others. His response: he personally does all the work himself (with his brother in law) and personally goes and hand picks each and every piece of wood. Following that, I asked him twice for a quote... he repeated his verbal quote.. I pushed really hard for him to drop off a quote.. he eventually dropped off a brief written quote. I was a bit skeptical but, my husband really pushed for him.... we hired him. Okay, he's not the best at producing quotes.. but, he is EXCEPTIONAL at what he does... his price never went up and he was done in exactly 10 days. The workmanship is in a league of his own... we went with all cedar and epi wood... he hand selected beautiful pieces... his precision and finishing is a true art... He was very neat and courteous with the neighbours... our dog loved him. I am very really, really hoping that he will come back this winter and do our base boards.... Do yourselves a favour... go with Robert... let him have the extra days he asks for... and don't let his late quote scare you off... he'll honour his verbal quote. He is honest, collaborative, skilled, an artist and a great guy. You won't be disappointed... and your neighbours will all ask you for his name & number....

Company Profile

Credentials & Financial Information

WRITTEN CONTRACT PROVIDED

In this week's newsletter: Best of season is in full swing!