Categories :
Renovation Advisors Kitchen Planning & Renovation Design/Build Architects General Contractors
Address:
By Appointment only

The Reno Coach

Company Profile

When it comes to home renovations, what you don't know really can hurt you. TM

Read about my Passive house project in Sep issue of Money magazine "http://www.moneysense.ca/2012/09/10/the-home-energy-makeover/"
Check out this "http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/personal-finance/home-cents/reno-or-go-how-costs-should-factor-into-your-decision/article1994112/print/"Globe and Mail Article

When it comes to home Renovations, what you don't know really can hurt you.

Click link to watch

...

more...
Servicing:

Toronto, Leside,Forest hill,Annex, River dale ,GTA, Concord, Etobicoke, North York, Toronto,

Reviews for The Reno Coach

Show:

Dec 20, 2010, Toronto

We bought a house with the intention of renovating (it was not really in livable shape), and as I was looking for contracts I thankfully found Reiner the Reno-Coach and called him first. Initially he helped us with the scope of the project (we did not know any of the rules or what was possible, expensive or inexpensive), and he helped us get drawings and permits which at that point saved more than triple what we will ever pay him. Then he helped us find a contractor, and we got some bids initially before, then after demolition, because many things change after demolition. He helped us select a contractor and we are now mid construction and he keeps being absolutely invaluable making sure the project is going as planned, the work is being done properly and that any unforeseen changes and costs are fair. I have already recommended the Reno-Coach to many friends and my cousin has already started working with him. Thanks Reiner!

Helpful? Yes No
What could this company do to improve their services?
Reiner could clone himself
Any advice to offer fellow homeowners facing a similar project?
If you are considering a decent size renovation or are even buying a house that you are thinking of renovating, call the Reno-Coach.

Dec 13, 2010, Toronto

We're just completing a full renovation of our old Victorian house in central Toronto. Reiner's expertise and guidence were critically important in getting us through the entire process. His advice was absolutely essential in getting us organized, obtaining permits, selecting designers, getting construction and finishing work contracted and completed, etc. Many of Reiner's recommendations saved us a great deal of money compared to other quotes we received, and generally the service was excellent.

Dec 13, 2010, Toronto

Reiner is currently helping us on our renovation project and WOW is he good. As recently as this past Saturday we had a situation arise in which he literally saved us thousands. A plumber told us that we needed to do a major drain pipe change that required ripping up the basement and the sidewalk! Well, we called Reiner and he came by immediately and spoke to him. He then advised us to have another gentleman come by to do an inspection (with DVD). This gentleman came in an hour and showed us that the pipes were clear and did not need to be replaced! This inspection saved us about 10K and needless headaches. All I can say is Reiner is invaluable for his knowledge and helpfulness are we all very happy that he is assisting us in this reno. Right now he has ensured that our Christmas will be Merry.

Nov 02, 2010, Toronto

We are planning a massive renovation - tear down our existing house and rebuild everything new. We found Reiner on Homestars after speaking with a number of design/build firms and contractors, and we're so glad we did. From his pool of resources, we have used an architect and an interior designer who have saved us lots of money and definitely have the right skills for the job. Because of his previous experience as a contractor, he keeps other contractors honest and protects homeowners from being overcharged. On top of that, Reiner has guided us through the maze of dealing with the city for permits and working with our neighbours to get their support. We have no doubt that we've made the best decision by having Reiner on board. We can't imagine taking on this renovation without him!

Sep 10, 2010, North York

We were first-time renovators. Exactly a year ago, we asked two contractors to come and discuss our interior/exterior renovation job. By complete fluke, I also happened to just visit the Reno Coach (Reiner) website. So I asked Reiner to meet with us as well. What an eye-opener. Both contractors has perfect “10” rating here on homestars. But we quickly notice that neither wanted to discuss detailed pricing of anything. We could not move forward because for us, everything was about whether we can afford it or not. We quickly realize we needed someone “in the know” on our team. Reiner’s first contribution was to make sure the job is being priced right on the basis of the scope (and not according to the neighborhood we live in). As we moved through the renovation, I can tell you Reiner can solve ANYTHING the house throws at him. He is that good. He is also prompt in getting back to you. You and your house become his priority #1. Reiner helped in countless ways. But something else that stood out looking back: we eventually learned there are always 5 ways to do something – some requiring a little more work, a little more finesse. Without Reiner’s knowledge, we would pretty much have to accept what the contractor or the trade tell us. I can tell you we would not have got the house we wanted if we had left it to the contractor or the trade to guide us. All in all, we had a difficult, roller coaster of a project given its massive scope. Wonderland’s Behemoth does not even come close. We don’t want to even try to imagine where we would have been if I did not happen to visit Reiner’s website. Actually I know. We would probably be calling Reiner today. We are glad we called him a year earlier. Reiner – thank you and all the best – you saved us.

Aug 26, 2010, Mississauga

I found Reiner via Homestars a few months back and engaged him to assist me with a multi-unit reno. The process in ongoing, but my experience to date has been excellent. In summary, the key items I like about the Coach are as follows: - He is methodical - Always provides timely status reports and updates. You will never need to chase Reiner or his Team - Always keeps budget vs. requirements in mind and offers sound guidance to ensure you are not overspending - All the resources he brings into a project are diligent professionals that deliver As well he is a great person and easy to get along with.

Helpful? Yes No
Any advice to offer fellow homeowners facing a similar project?
I would recommend contacting Reiner as early as possible in the project, preferably during the purchase phase since his insight and suggestions will prove to be valuable.

Jul 19, 2010, Toronto

This was my first reno in my first house. When the contractor that I had lined up for the job pulled out at the last minute, I knew I was in big trouble. A co-worker told me about Homestars, and after a bit of digging, I found a number for Reiner, the Reno Coach. His reviews seemed positive, I figured I had nothing to lose, so I gave him a call. We set up a meeting to meet at the house the next day. I had just taken possession of the house, and we had set aside 45 days before moving in to complete (or mostly complete) the project. The contractor that gave me the original estimate had just pulled out, so the clock was running. My bank had financing for the renovation conditional on project completion, making my budget planning a bit of a challenge. Reiner and I had a long talk about the seriousness of my situation, and he talked me through exactly how we could solve the problems and get my family moved into the house on-budget and on-schedule. We formulated a plan, and Reiner got immediately to work interviewing contractors, and getting estimates. What struck me immediately about the Reno Coach is how well he communicates. Emails, SMSes, phone calls were returned promptly, I was kept up to date on the progress of contractor schedules, engineering drawings, the status of all permit applications, etc. Things went smoothly, things went quickly. We (ie. Reiner) found a contractor that could start the job with only a week notice. The contractor turned out to be excellent. He had a well run crew, he completed jobs on time, he asked the right questions and helped make decisions that kept the project on track. If there were any problems, and there were a lot, I could count on Reiner and the contractor to come up with excellent solutions. I could trust these guys. Reiner took care of the rocky road that is engineering / drawings / permits / inspectors. Surprises happen in any project and mine was no different. When we got the news back that we had to beef up a beam in the basement, Reiner had already got the costs and schedule by the time I talked to him about it. He laid out all my options clearly and always had my budget in mind. We found reasonable trade-offs, made informed decisions, and got the project quickly back on track. The job is now complete. We moved in on-time, as planned. The total cost of the project was right on, and we are more than pleased with the work of all the tradesmen and contractors that were involved in the project. I estimate that Reiner saved me at least $10,000 and god knows how much time. I recommend the Reno Coach, without reservation.

Jul 09, 2010, Mississauga

Ours is a detached 2 storey house with a problem - the upper floor heated up during the summer months causing the a/c to run constantly. Although it ran constantly, the upper floor was never comfortable, and was sauna-like causing us to decamp to the basement. We had several suggestions to "fix" the problem, including a roofing contractor who convinced us to add 5 more vents to the roof to vent out hot attic air. Several hundred dollars later, there was absolutely no change. Reiner the reno coach then came in, measured the temperature in the attic on a warm day (65deg C, unbelievably), looked at the size of the a/c and the ducting system as well as the attic insulation before advising us to invest in reinsulating the attic. He provided a number of pointers, things to watch out for and companies for us to discuss with as well as an approximate cost. We took a leap of faith and engaged a contractor to insulate the attic (separate review follows) using eco-friendly foam. The results were night and day. We were so convinced we had to add additional airconditioning, it was amazing to solve the problem the "right" way that improved the value of the property as well as kept our energy bills down both in the summer and in the winter. Thank you Reiner!

Jun 24, 2010, Toronto

Quite simply, Reiner Hoyer is the best friend a homeowner or renovator can possibly have. Our story appears to be fairly common. Tired of losing bidding wars over almost 2 years trying for a ready-to-move in house we purchased our home in May 2009. The house required a massive renovation, both 2nd and 3rd floors and basement, along with remodelling the kitchen, replacing the HVAC and doing the entire exterior. Entirely unprepared for such a massive project we took several months on our own replacing the roof, eavestroughing, interior demolition and engaging an HVAC contractor. However we had very little success on our own meeting and finding a suitable renovator who could bring the whole thing together into a finished livable home worthy of the substantial investment we were making. We had quickly reached a cross-roads and continuing on our own was becoming very difficult as we had neither the expertise nor the ability to oversee the numerous trades required to complete the job. Indeed, the HVAC company we had hired and were overseeing was in the middle of committing several mistakes (without permits) that would haunt us for a couple of months. We contracted with Reiner Hoyer in November after finding him on Homestars and thinking that taking him up on the 1 hour free visit was worth the risk. This was clearly one of the smartest decisions we ever made. Reiner was able to come in and help us avert potential disaster. He got 6 quotes from reputable renovators that we were able to compare and eventually made the decision to go with North Bay Kitchen and Baths Inc. Reiner helped us get our building permits very quickly and far more cost effective than anyone we had contacted. And whenever there was a problem he was always there with a plan B or C in his back pocket. Reiner is an easy guy to work with and having someone who had our best interests at heart was a real refreshing change. As we progressed through the job with NBKB it became clearer and clearer how important Reiner's contribution had been. When I see our house today I have no qualms in stating that I could very well have paid twise as much for half the house I currently have. We whole heartedly recommend Reiner for any project that you may be undertaking and hope it is as successful as ours.

Jun 02, 2010, North York

We hired Reiner to help us evaluate a potential in Danforth. He was extremely helpful and was able to provide very valuable advice. He came out to the property to help us with the following: - Provide expertise / vision for the renovation He gave us great tips on what we could do with the space in order to maximize our return on investment. - Provided detailed and conservative estimates on costs, helping us prioritize the job to stay within budget.

Company Profile

When it comes to home renovations, what you don't know really can hurt you. TM

Check out this "http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/personal-finance/home-cents/reno-or-go-how-costs-should-factor-into-your-decision/article1994112/print/">Globe and Mail Article

When it comes to home Renovations, what you don't know really can hurt you.

Click link to watch

Click here to read about The Reno Coach in The Toronto Star

Click link to read in Reno & Decor Magazine June issue.
Click here to read about Passive house design on the HomeStars blog.

That's because successful renovations aren't as easy as they seem. Far from it. Behind what looks like a simple process lurks the potential for very expensive, very frustrating lessons. In fact, it's more than just potential. The frequency of catastrophic cost over-runs, shoddy workmanship, pro-longed timelines and dishonesty in the trades is high and rising. And even if your contractor is completely trustworthy there's still the reality that his errors, however honest, still cost you in the end.

Why assume this kind of risk, when a renovation coach can eliminate it?

The Reno Coach is a consulting and coaching company for contractors and home owners. We service the GTA of Toronto and are a fee-based impartial advisor assisting homeowners and contractors in avoiding the pitfalls typically experienced during renovations. Let our 30 years experience in the construction and renovation industries work …

Products & Services

Products
Building permit Drawings,Building permit Applications,Fire retrofit inspections,Basement apartment retrofits,20/20 Kitchen and Bathroom design and 3D renderings,Custom Miralis Kitchens and Bathrooms, Passive House design and building
Services
Consulting and Coaching for Home Owners and Contractors Building Permit Applications and Drawings Structural Engineering Drawings ,3D Design renderings for Kitchens etc, Contractor disputes resolution, Contractor back ground checks, WSIB solutions, Project Management, Passive House Design and Construction
Brands
Gene Rau-Fibro passive house windows and doors www.passivehousewindows.ca Baeumler Approved
Styles
Passive House Building Standards a Energy effizient way of building a House follow our Passive house project in Toronto http://passivehouseto.blogspot.com/
Specialties

No Minimum
PROJECT RATE
Hourly or by contract
WRITTEN CONTRACT PROVIDED

In this week's newsletter: Best of season is in full swing!