Categories :

Binbrook

Smithville

Reviews for Birnie Thos R & Sons Ltd

Jul 25, 2012, HAMILTON

Sandy very happy with the service she received from David - he was very helpful and walked her through everything. David was very respectful of her home and cleaned up afterwards. Customer will call us in the future for any other work she may require and will tell her friends about our company.

Jul 18, 2012, Hamilton

I was very satisfied with the company they were excellent. I would recommend them to friends and family for sure. Gentlement who had done the work were very pleasant & organized. Our consultant was very professional and courteous.

Jul 12, 2012, Hamilton

I would like to start off by saying thank-you to you, the young man who came to our house to do the work, and the staff at Thos.R. Birnie & Sons Plumbing for the wonderful service I have received to date. It is clear that you're company went out of your way to assist us with our plumbing. From start to finish your company has been nothing short of outstanding. I have totally renovated my house from brick work, to plumbing to electrical with over 8 contractors used for different parts of the construction. Your company was by far the best example of professionalism I could expect. My wife and I are both active serving members of the Canadian Forces and we have been away all summer conducting training and teaching other soldiers. When we found out that sewage had back up into our basement my biggest concern was how could I possibly deal with this so far from home with only my wife's elderly grandmother at home. The assistance, patience, advice and professionalism your company displayed was above and beyond what I could have expected. You turned something that could have been a nightmare to deal with into a simple repair with no hiccups. I could not have been happier with the service your company has given my family. I have already recommended your company to many people on my street where I live or other members of the Canadian Forces who live in Hamilton and I will continue to do so without hesitation. Again thank you for everything you have done for us. Jason ****** Capt

Jul 12, 2012, Hamilton

Overall how satisfied was I with this company? 6/5. How likely am I to recommend them to friends & family? 6/5. The crew arrived on time, they were top notch workers. Very clean, polite, and well mannered. There was absolutely no foul language used. The staff were friendly and answered all of my questions. Staff were very professional and safety conscious. They did not mind me supervising the work and asking questions. Work was completed in the timeframe given and the worksite left clean and tidy.

Jul 12, 2012, Hamilton

Crew completed work within the time frame quoted. I had dealt with this company in the past and the staff are very helpful with answering all of my questions. Very patient when I had questions regarding the work. Overall I had a very good experience. Everything was left impeccably clean.

May 29, 2012, DUNDAS

Technician left having created a new problem then when I discovered this, I was advised that they do not warranty their work. Will never use them again. They are overpriced.

Company Response:
We are very disappointed to read this review. Particularly since the actual job that we came to do for this homeowner was resolved with no issues. When we came back to the job at no charge, we found it was an entirely different issue- we offered a few options to get the job fixed and she declined insisting it fell under the other job's warranty. The management went above and beyond to assist in resolving the matter, yet it was evident that this could not happen. It is unfortunate that this left the homeowner unhappy and we do wish her the best.

Jan 26, 2012, STONEY CREEK

I was very pleased with the serviceman who came to my house this week to fix our plugged toilet. He was very courteous and fixed the problem quickly. I am a senior and am always concerned when I invite a stranger into my home. He was very professional and put me completely at ease. The job was done quickly and for the price that was quoted. I have used Thos. R Birnie & Sons for many years and will continue to do.

Jan 26, 2012, Niagara Falls

Review has Multiple Versions 1

After reading client testimonials on this site, chose this place to do my repair. At first, I believed this was a very costly mistake, but the company made good on an error. The plumber arrived on time. He went through the diagnostic work of cutting the pipe and determining that indeed the sump pump was broken. He explained to me that it would cost about $600 to install a sump pump that they supplied or have me get a sump pump and pay $300. I thought this was reasonable (and it was nice for him to allow me to run out and get a cheaper replacement pump), so I headed out to Lowes to get materials while he did some prep work and prepared paperwork. When I got back with the pump, he said that he would also need to replace "a little pipe". I thought "obviously", since the pump type was switching from a pedestal to a submersible, and he cut the pipe to see what the problem was. He then presented me with the estimate for $640 + taxes -- $292 for the sump pump replacement and $348 for the pipe work. At this point, I had a decision to make: sign the estimate (well after the work was done) or have a confrontation over the charges that may end up in shoddy workmanship or leaving me to call someone else to do the repair. This is why a company must always present an estimate up front and abide by that estimate. Both the customer and the vendor are at risk when the statement of work isn't provided "up front". So, all in all, I felt deceived. I was told it would be $300 to replace the pump, and when I got back with the pump, there was an additional charge of $350 to replace pipe that should be part of the sump pump replacement work. All in all, the plumber spent 75 minutes of work and charged $640 of labour to replace this and a $10 piece of pipe. I felt ripped off. I received a followup call from the company to ask about their service, which was a nice surprise. I told them that the cost was too high and they informed me that someone would call me back. Someone did. We talked about the job that was performed and my experience with the plumber. Although the work done was quite satisfactory, I expressed my view that there was an error with the charge. The company asked me what I felt would make things right. I asked them to remove the charge for the pipe installation as I felt like the charge for that was dishonest. The company respresentative agreed and removed the charge the pipe replacement charge ($348). Because the company was willing to reason and admitted that the billing was a mistake, I can now recommend them to my friends and family. Thanks for restoring my faith in the industry.

Oct 12, 2011, Kitchener

My toilet and bathtub were plugged due to my renovation project, so I called Birnie Thos R & Son, they showed up within 2 hours, which is very good. they managed to make the water drain through, however it is very slow. Plumber suggested to use camera to confirm the reason of slow drainage, it is very expensive but I thought they already on site should be a good idea to find out. They found out cause and agreed to leave a CD for me to review. However the next day the office informed me that machine did not work properly so did not record the video, they need to come in again to rearrange the video part. I work during the regular week, so I have to ask half day off to arrange him to come in. I guess their computer is not working properly again, so they have to call the office to arrange another computer to be dropped off. It end up an half day work. The technican has a good attitude, however not familar with new technology plus very expensive bill, for the work of making water running through and locate the problem area cost over $1000, without really fixing the real problem. I have to call another company to dig out and remove the plug debris. I do not recommend this company.

Company Response:
Hello We take any complaints very seriously and had you called into our office to let us know we would have been able to take quicker action. Yes it is true that we were having some issues with our equipment on this call, however you did not receive any extra charges for us to complete the work even though we had to return a different day. What was quoted was what was performed. Please also note that I personally came to see you 2 times to give you a quote. Each time we called and confirmed an appointment with you and each time you were not home. I waited an hour each time and tried to contact you. We did leave the quote for you in your mailbox and if you would like to receive it by email I would be more than happy to send it to you. It is our endeavour to satisfy each client with as little inconvenience as possible. We appreciate the opportunity to serve you and we also wished that the situation turned out better. We would be more than happy to discuss the situation further. Thanks Rob Birnie

Oct 02, 2011, HAMILTON

I called and was greeted by a friendly and professional rep. I was given an appointment for the next day. Worker was pleasant and very efficient in his work. Problem solved in no time.

Company Profile

Thos R Birnie & Sons Ltd is a Family owned, full service Plumbing, Drain & Water Conditioning Company. Our Burlington, Hamilton and Oakville plumbing teams aim to provide the best customer experience through superior workmanship, quality products, and peace of mind service. From the early 1920’s to now we have been at the forefront of every major change in the plumbing and drain industry, and take great strides to continue to ensure that our customers receive the service they have come to expect from generation to generation.

In 1921 John Birnie came from Scotland looking for work and started John Birnie Sewer and Cement. In 1946 his son Thos (pronounced Thomas) took on the business in his name. Since that time the business has continued in the Birnie family and is now operated by his sons and grandsons.

In today’s ever changing market it is hard to find a company that is longstanding and established like ours. This doesn’t come from poor customer service, our customer’s know that Birnie knows Plumbing and Drains and we will work extremely hard to solve any issue that we are faced with. Our aim is to continue providing exceptional service day and night for the satisfaction of our clients and continue the family tradition with the next generation (see picture above).

Some company’s may say that they are experts in the field, but when our original Business licence is 0002 (see licence above). There are few who can compare.

Give us a try; I’m sure you won’t be disappointed. We value all of our customers and understand how to give great service and have it last for a lifetime

We specialize in Plumbing, Drains, Water Conditioning, Underground Pipe Rehabilitation (Sewer Re-Lining), and Waterproofing.

Our Mission:
To be the best by exceeding our customer’s expectations
With Integrity, Determination and Compassion
To Strive for Excellence in our Industry
To Improve ourselves, our Business, and our World

Products & Services

Products
Bio-One – This is an environmentally friendly product that does not harm your drains. It’s a fantastic drain maintainer. Harben Hydro Scrubbers – This removes any debris, grease, or blockage in your drains using high volumes of water at a controlled pressure. Formadrain – Sewer Relining product – we are the first company to bring this product to Ontario and the first Company in the golden horseshoe area to start Sewer Relining – Your sewer will be working within 3 Hours. Permaliner – Sewer Relining Product – It’s never good to have 1 relining product so we have 2 fantastic products to give you options. Noritz Tankless Heaters – We are an approved Noritz Tankless hot water installer Kinetico Water Conditioning – We are a top Kinetico dealer in Canada for all your softening and filtration needs
Services
Full Service Plumbing & Complete Drain Services. Repair and Replacement of all Water Lines, Drain Lines, and Fixtures. Sewer and Drain Relining and Replacement Sewer back water valve installations Waterline upgrades from lead to copper, or increased pressure Drain line video inspection and locating Full Basement Waterproofing Kinetico Softener and R/O installation and repair Well and Sump Pump repair and replacement Backflow Certified for surveys, and testing
Brands
Noritz, Kinetico, and many more
Styles
We book a time that is convenient for our clients and call when on the way. We will also call a mobile number should the customer need to do running around prior to our arrival We give an upfront price that is agreed on before the work is done. This saves the customer money and gives peace of mind as they know the price before we start. We warranty our work . We stand behind all work that is performed.
Specialties
Plumbing Drain Cleaning , Drain Re-lining and trenchless technology, Waterproofing with a Lifetime warranty, Waterline upgrades, Whole home water Conditioning

Credentials & Financial Information

1946
Cash, Cheque, Visa, Master Card, American Express
Master PlumberMaster Drain LayerMinistry Of The Environment Well Tech 4OWWA Cross Connection S
OPIA – Ontario Plumber Inspector’s AssociationOGWA – Ontario Groundwater AssociationCWQA – Canad
PROJECT RATE
Agreed Upon Prior to the Start of the Job
WRITTEN CONTRACT PROVIDED

In this week's newsletter: Best of season is in full swing!