Category :
Ernie Wilkens
Hours:
Mon-Thur 8-5, Fri 8-4

Wilkens Contracting Inc

Company Profile Wilkens Contracting Inc. has provided personalized service to Toronto homeowners for over 30 years. Our specialties include tuckpointing, building & repairing chimneys, and building & repairing fireplaces. We also repair concrete, stone work, sidewalks, and wet basements. Our team of qualified trades people will assess your needs and carry out ...

You Might Also Consider

Otto's Masonry

otto.JPG

I found this gorgeous wall underneath the plaster when we demolished the wall the renovate the downstairs bathroom. It was...

Anne-Margaret Welton in North york 5 Apr 08, 2014

Reviews for Wilkens Contracting Inc

Show:

Dec 11, 2013, Old Toronto

Ernie and his son Jake are both gentlemen who completed an excellent job at the best price. They were professional, friendly and thorough from start to finish. I highly recommend their workmanship.

Dec 02, 2013, Old Toronto

We have called upon the services of Wilkens on three occasions over a period of about 11 years. On every occasion they have been prompt, attentive, done flawless work, and cleaned up perfectly upon completion. Ernie is what you might call "old school" in the sense that he is a true gentleman, who is gracious and stands behind the work completed by his team. The crews are professional, and wonderful to deal with. In today's world, Wilkens is a rare find indeed. I have referred friends to Wilkens, and will do so again and again. A top-notch outfit!

Company Response:
Thank You so much!!! We really appreciate you taking the time to do this!!! Maguite

Oct 25, 2012, Etobicoke

Ernie Wilkens and his team have worked for me in the past with superb results, so I did not hesitate to call them when my retaining wall required repair. They couldn't find bricks the right size, so they cut down bricks to match (perfectly!) and did not charge me for the extra labour. An honest and ethical company with very high standards - I would highly recommend them to anyone.

Aug 07, 2012, North York

My flagstone porch was in disrepair - some of the stones had come off or were loose from the ravages of winter and spring thaw. (Canadian weather is tough on the mortar). I'm glad I called Wilkens Contracting after receiving their flyer in the mail. They specialize in masonry work. I'm pleased with the results - my porch looks good as new. They did an excellent job with quality workmanship at a reasonable price. I would not hesitate to hire them again.

Jul 30, 2012, SCARBOROUGH

We moved into our home about 20 years after it was built, and almost 20 years have gone by since we've moved in, so the house it fairly old. Needless to say, our fireplace had smoke damage etc, these guys came and gave us a whole new fireplace to enjoy!

Dec 01, 2011, Toronto

The tear down of a rotting chimney and its reconstruction was handled by Wilkens Contacting Inc. I am entirely serious when I write that the new chimney is a thing of beauty. The point work is flawless. I told my partner my only disappointment was that the damn thing wasn't on the front porch where everyone could see it. The chimney is shared with my semi-detached neighbour and there was a question as to the appropriate cap for her side of the installation as she was having her furnace replaced. I found the crew's concern that the work be finished appropriately to the point of scheduling their break around my efforts to locate her, as telling as the quality of the brickwork itself. Ernie suggested I have a roofing company handle the flashing of the new chimney as our roof is currently on life support and the job was best handled by specialists. I did hire a roofing company but I had forgotten to inform them that the chimney work was happening that day. It turned out to be of no concern because after climbing to the roof to see how things were progressing, I found that the roofing contractor was there already. Without prompting from me, Wilkens had contacted them and coordinated the work to ensure the flashing was installed immediately after the chimney was capped. I suppose I've become a little too immune to paying top dollar for mediocre product but this consideration momentarily left me slack-jawed with amazement. I hardly need to add that the area was left cleaner then before the crew from Wilkens first walked on it. In the years my partner and I have been restoring our home, we have hired many different contractors for jobs both large and small. Until I hired Wilkens Contacting, I had never had the pleasure of hiring a company that didn't simply meet a quality standard, it set one. Bravo. Paul Vivian

Jul 26, 2011, Toronto

Review has Multiple Versions 1

When you pick Otto Wilkens for a contractor you shouldn't do it because you're looking for a deal. It's unlikely he's going to be the cheapest, but you're going to get value, honesty, integrity, and something I appreciate throughout any home reno process - good communication. Otto took care of a piece of concrete in the front of our house, and we're very happy with how it looks and how the whole process turned out. Definitely keep Wilkens in mind if you're doing concrete or masonry work done.

Apr 28, 2011, Toronto

Our house was in desperate need of serious tuck pointing on all four walls and the porch pillars in front. There were MANY areas where you could see right through because so much mortar was missing. A few months ago we called Ernie and about 7 other contractors to come do an estimate. Ernie's estimate was the lowest of all 8 contractors (coming in nearly $7,000 less than the most expensive estimate). It was a few months before we called him back. We were hesitant to go with the "cheapest" estimate because after all, you get what you pay for. We found that Wilkens had good ratings here on Home Stars so we called Ernie back and he came out again. He reviewed the original estimate from a few months ago and stood by it. He was very knowledgeable so we decided to use them for the job. He had a contractor to our house the next week and he worked on our house for 3 full days - all of which he had to work in the rain and cool temperatures. We were SO pleased with the results. He was friendly and did an absolutely amazing job. We even had a 2' x 3' area on our front pillar that was stained white from the previous owner trying to do the tuck pointing himself (!) This stain was gone after our Wilkens contractor left. The house looks 10x better than it did before. We couldn't be happier. We got much more than we expected for the price and when we received the invoice, it was exactly what we had discussed. Absolutely fantastic.

Jan 22, 2011, Toronto

Left a message requesting assessment of work required. Contractor called back within a day. Came to assess the work within a couple of days. Needed to replace some bricks on the foundation wall between house and cold storage room. Hole had been created years ago to accommodate furnace/water heater exhaust pipes. Agreed on a day when work would be done. Quote provided. Contractor came and completed work in a couple of hours. VERY NICE QUALITY WORK. Very professional. Always on-time. Cleaned everything up. Left winter boots at door. Completely satisfied. Would not hesitate to rehire.

Oct 06, 2010, Toronto

Ernie explained to me clearly how he proposed to address my issues, and immediately hand-wrote a quote with clear descriptions of each component of the work. With others I have had to wait several days for the quote, and the work was not explained in writing. The typed invoice was similarly clear. He was also the only one to recommend repairing the existing augur on the chimney rather than replacing it with a pop-top: a cheaper and better solution, I think. David gave me clear answers about the scheduling and followed through with his promises. And Bill, who actually did the work, took time and very courteously and clearly answered my questions, did some additional tuckpointing when I requested it, and even took the time to test out my chimney by burning some paper. I will go back to them if I have similar work in the future. I enjoyed doing business with all of them and am comfortable that the job has been well done. Thanks!

Helpful? Yes No

In this week's newsletter: Best of season is in full swing!