Categories :
Owner/Manager:
Steve Spring

Top Hat Chimney Sweeps

Company Profile

Standing above the roofline, chimneys are fully exposed to rain and snow and are affected by winter's freeze/thaw cycles. They are therefore one of the first places on a house to deteriorate. This deterioration usually takes many years to begin but then progresses rapidly. Cracked or spalled bricks, damaged flue tiles or concrete caps, or a leaning structure are signs that the chimney needs immediate attention.

more...
Servicing:

We service the entire GTA including Pickering,Scarborough,Markham,North York, Etobicoke, Woodbridge, Brampton, Mississauga

Reviews for Top Hat Chimney Sweeps

Nov 03, 2013, Old Toronto

The workmanship and service were so poor that it is embarrassing that we dealt with them for almost an entire year, as they tried to fix the incremental problems they caused (without fixing the initial problems for which they were hired), before asking them to leave the premises. They would fail to show up for appointments, attempt to cover up work they had to do to "undo" improper work they had previously done, and come up with absurd explanations for things they were doing. The only positive comment I have about the experience is that Steve was polite.

Jun 24, 2013, North York

Got our chimney completely redone Spring 2012. The guy's a talker. Seemed to be good work HOWEVER the entire base of the chimney was poorly caulked (not sure what they call it but it runs about 2 feet up the base) and looked so sloppy it ruins the look. I mean, after paying him more than what I should have, and in cash I might add, you'd think he'd do a stellar job. I commented on how bad it looked and he assured me they'd come back to redo it. Emails and messages later, NOBODY has shown up over one year later. Surprise! Would definitely not recommend this company. All he did was badmouth the rest. Unprofessional!

Jun 12, 2013, York

I contacted Top Hat Chimney to have my fathers chimney rebuilt as it was well weathered. Steve provided us with a very fair and honest estimate for this job. After agreeing on the price Steve set up the date and time. On the evening as promised prior to I received a call that they would be starting as per the agreed date. They were right on schedule and the job was completed well above the standard that I was expecting. The workers were friendly and kind. They cleaned up after and were kind enough to show us pictures of the before and after work performed.They even went that extra to advise us that a side of the roof was in need of shingle replacement. Great job Top Hat !!

Helpful? Yes No
What could this company do to improve their services?
Absolutely nothing as they hit it right on
Any advice to offer fellow homeowners facing a similar project?
Respect the work and allow the pros to get it done .

May 02, 2013, Worcester

We have used Top Hat Chimney several times in the past for chimney cleaning, but this year we had Top Hat rebuild our chimney. Every time we have used their service we have found their technicians and masons to be very professional, polite, and respectful of our property. Their staff are all eager to help in any way possible, and completed the job quickly and to our satisfaction. I feel quite comfortable recommending Top Hat Chimney to anyone in need of chimney repair or cleaning. - Leigh, North York, ON

Feb 14, 2013, North York

Our chimney had not been used or cleaned in over 10 years. Greg cleaned the chimney quickly and with no mess. He was friendly and courteous. He arrived within the scheduled time frame so there was no waiting. He explained everything he had done and advised me of some minor required repairs. Overall I was extremely satisfied. Thanks. He even gave me some excellent tips on training my dog.

Nov 22, 2012, Etobicoke

Top Hat Chimney Sweeps call us yearly to set up a chimney inspection. They are punctual and friendly and very neat with their work. Great to have a company that we can rely on to let us know when it is time to do some cleaning for the chimney.

Sep 23, 2012, Toronto

Mike from Top Hat was extremely helpful in solving a problem that other service providers could not. I have two fireplaces in my home, connected by the same chimney. Each time we lit the upstairs fire, smoke would fill the basement where my other chimney is located. They relined my chimney and when that did not completely solve the problem, came back and put 50lbs of mortar in the base of my fireplace to seal cracks (free of charge 2nd visit). These guys see the job through until the problem is solved. Smart because I am a customer for life.

Jun 20, 2012, NORTH YORK

I was very pleased with the work done and felt the price was excellent. In addition I had them do other brick work repairs I would have no hesitation in recommending them

May 17, 2012, Mississauga

As a recent condo-townhouse owner, I need to provide an annual WETT certificate. I've now used Top Hat twice, and am very pleased with their promptness, timeliness, and incredible knowledge.

Mar 01, 2012, Toronto

In the spring of 2010 I hired Top Hat Chimney to install a new stainless steel chimney flue in my unlined chimney in order to bring it up to code for insurance purposes. The flue was installed in good order and in good time and I was happy with the work. However when I went to use the fireplace during the following winter, the fireplace no longer seemed to be drawing properly. Smoke was coming back into the house. I tried all the standard testing procedures - cracking the door, making sure it was a cold night for draw, pre-heating the flue - to no avail. So I phoned Top Hat and asked them to come down and have a look. I understand that sometimes things don't work out exactly right - maybe the new relationship between the flue and the firebox was not right, for example. In good faith, I was willing to pay an additional charge if something needed to be changed - as not all problems are foreseeable. But here is where the problem started. I could NOT get anyone to come down from Top Hat and have a look. I must have explained my situation 4 or 5 times over phone calls that took place over more than a year and even explained I would be willing to pay if the problem could be fixed. Each time I was told Steve (the owner) would look into it and then nothing. It's been almost 2 years and still nothing. I guess the lesson here with this company is make sure your chimney actually works before giving over your final payment. I am very disappointed and frustrated with Top Hat.

Company Profile

Top Hat Chimney specializes in all aspects of chimney repair and rebuilding. Our brick masons are unsurpassed in their level of expertise, and take pride in their workmanship. They take great care to protect the roof and ground so that all work will be completed in a clean and safe manner.

All of our work is guaranteed against defect in materials and workmanship.

We are happy to provide references from other satisfied customers in your area.

The burning of wood leaves highly flammable deposits in the chimney flue and smoke chamber. Regular cleaning and inspection are essential in the prevention of chimney fires.

All of our expert technicians are WETT certified and employ the most up-to-date chimney cleaning techniques. Care is always taken to insure that there is no mess in the home.

A basic chimney sweep includes :

- cleaning of the chimney flue, smoke chamber, and smoke shelf
- damper adjustment
- basic inspection.

Also Available :

- nest and blockage removal
- detailed WETT reports
- chimney caps and accesories
- special rates for multi-unit properties

Products & Services

Products
Chimney caps and accessories. Lock-top damper systems. Chimney liners.
Services
Cleaning of the chimney flue, smoke chamber, and smoke shelf - damper adjustment - basic inspection - nest and blockage removal - Detailed WETT reports - Chimney liner installation -Chimney rebuilding - All chimney repairs

Credentials & Financial Information

1978
Cheque, Visa or Mastercard
WETT Certified technicians. Member of the Chimney Safety Association of Canada
WRITTEN CONTRACT PROVIDED

In this week's newsletter: Best of season is in full swing!