Categories :
Carpet & Rug Retailers Floor Retailers Floor Laying & Refinishing Carpet Installers
Address:
469 Carlaw Ave Toronto , ON M4K 3H9
Owner/Manager:
Carpet Mill
Hours:
Mon-Wed: 9-6 Thu-Fri: 9-8 Sat 9-5

Carpet Mill

Company Profile

Categories: Carpet & Rug Retailers, Floor Retailers, Floor Laying & Refinishing, Carpet Installers

Whether you are thinking of resurfacing one room, a set of stairs or your entire home, we’ll help you find the right product for the job. Be it carpet, laminate, hardwood, cork, area rugs or runners – just drop by our 10,000 square – foot showroom, located in the heart of Riverdale at 469 Carlaw Avenue. It would be our pleasure to assist you.
________________________________________________
Carpet...

more...
Servicing:

Etobicoke, North York, Richmond Hill, Scarborough, Thornhill, Toronto, Unionville, Vaughan, Woodbridge, Forest Hill, Rosedale, Leaside, East York, Beaches,Downtown,

Reviews for Carpet Mill

Sep 07, 2012, Toronto

This has been one of the very worst customer service experiences I have ever had. From start to finishing dealing with the Carpet Mill has been a nightmare. The good reviews on here must be from their fmaily and friends. We were having the laminate in our kitchen replaced to preparing to sell our home. We went into Carpet Mill and picked the floor we wanted, placed a deposit, and booked a time. Shortly afterwards one of their staff came to check the measurements. This man was incredibly rude and even cut a hole in our exisiting laminate (which we were eventually charged extra to repair.) After this the manager Lindsay called us to inform us that the he did not have a enough of the flooring we already put a deposit on- and we would need to come pick out something more expensive. Turned out the "measure guy" was putting the laminate in places we has not asked for (behind fridge and stove) but by this point they sold the flooring we put a deposit on. When the installers came they immediately started yelling at me when I opened the door. Screaming that I was responsible for their parking (we have street parking- this is downtown Toronto) and were extremely hostile and threatned to leave. The installation of the floor was very poorly done. Air bubbles, crinckles- just awful. In fact when we attempted tp put that fridge and stove back the floor bunched and tore because the skim coating had not been done properly. Carpet Mill took no responsibility for this and charged us an astronimical fee to fix this. The air bubbles and crinckles were not fixed of course. I would caution anyone from using this very sleazy company. Work is poor and they find underhanded ways to increase your costs.

Company Response:
Unfortunately, we are forced to defend ourselves in light of these unfair allegations. Beginning with the measurement, it is always our policy to thoroughly inspect the areas that we are installing. Part of this inspection includes an assessment of the stability of the existing floor that we’re installing over. If there are imperfections underneath that are showing through the surface, we must lift (not cut in this case) a portion to assess how to provide a professional installation. In this situation (where the existing floor is being replaced) it is of no relevance to dispute lifting a small portion for inspection since the floor was either being removed or installed over. We’ve measured all areas in the same fashion successfully for 20 years and the gentleman that does the measures is a favorite among our clients and designers. Perhaps when the inspection was conducted it was more a misunderstanding of the proper methods than a fault to our associate’s character. Addressing the issue of the vinyl, we stock remnants for a reduced price to make products more affordable to our customers. In this case a cut of 30FT was for sale, 22FT was sold to a PREVIOUS customer leaving 8FT for sale. Since this customer’s measurements were inaccurate at 8FT, we found we needed 9’6” after the measurement, this left us short of that product and we were forced to qualify the customer to another similar product. Also, since the product is dropped in one piece it doesn’t save any material to NOT install under the fridge and stove. To suggest that our company acted poorly here would be to suggest that any customer looking to purchase 8FT from a 30FT remnant would have to buy the whole piece and waste 2/3 of it. To accuse us of “finding underhanded ways to increase costs“ is unfair and offensive since we go to such lengths to make things more affordable for our customers.... Furthermore, we find it ridiculous that the installer would come to a residence home and “IMMEDIATELY “begin yelling, seems quite odd that this particular installer has successfully worked in homes for us for 8 years issue free....As important to note that we have NEVER encountered another customer so unreasonable as to not allow us to use their parking spot to unload our tools and materials to do the installation unless it was absolutely not possible. This claim alone to us denounces any reservations about our company image through the eyes of this customer...Although it is downtown Toronto and parking issues can be difficult, it is totally unreasonable that our installer would “find street parking “up to several blocks away and physically carry all the materials and tools by hand...With all of the problems and difficulties we face and overcome, this has NEVER been one of them. Perhaps this accounts for some level of the installer’s frustration.... Finally with regards to the floor damage, we charge our customer a small fee of $80 to move appliances carefully before and after the installation is finished...In this case the customer chose to wave this fee and move the appliances themselves. Unfortunately, THEY damaged the floor in the process. Our “astronomical “fee to come and repair damage we didn’t cause was $150 and typically this would get treated as a minimum charge of $250 to fix. The only buckling and bubbling came from a 300lb appliance being moved improperly across a freshly glued floor by the customer. If this was indeed our error of installation, why would the customer ever of agreed to pay even the $150 for us to repair?? Obviously they are admitting that they are at fault for the damage. Inherently, when the installation was finished why would the customer have paid the balance in full on site immediately following the installation if the job was in fact “ just awful “ with air bubbles and crinkles visible on the floor. We encourage all of our customers to fully inspect the job before they pay. In this case the job was done correctly by our team, there was only an issue after the customer improperly moved their appliances back...A floor would never be torn from moving appliances on it as a result of “ the skim coating being done improperly “ since the skim coating is only used to level out imperfections on the subfloor beneath... This customer received the same above and beyond service that we offer all our clients, these inaccuracies and allegations are clearly exposed when the details of the transaction are fully elaborated...
This review has been flagged for verification.
Robert Rowe in North york Aug 01, 2012
Why am I seeing this?

Apr 29, 2012, Toronto

Despite its name, this company does more than carpets. Ivan spent A LOT of time with us and was not afraid to give his opinion - which was great because it helped us narrow the wide selection and have a good understanding of the product we were buying. Marcelino did a great job installing the flooring and went above and beyond. We started with one floor one year then eventually changed the three remaining floors the following year. Great service and reasonable prices. I have recommended them to friends. A hidden gem.

Feb 18, 2012, North York

We have been going to Carpet Mill for many years now because of their excellent selection and service. Despite their somewhat out-of-the-way location, it seems that many designers also rely on Carpet Mill. They always seem to have a good selection of teh most popular colours and styles in stock as well as great selection of high quality remnants (ranging fro small to very large sizes). They are extremely accomodating and helpful in making selections and installation is prompt and professional.

Helpful? Yes No
This review has been removed by the author.
Pam McNair in Toronto Dec 06, 2011
Why am I seeing this?

Nov 19, 2010, Toronto

The Carpet Mill consistently offers exceptional customer service, competitive pricing and professional installation. I've used them for projects big and small and have never been disappointed. Whether it's a large wall-to-wall installation or a custom area rug on a tight deadline, it's always a pleasure dealing with Ivan and the team at the Carpet Mill.

Jul 22, 2010, Toronto

I am very impressed by the high degree of professionalism shown by the whole Carpet Mill team. From picking out the flooring through to measuring, delivery and installation, it was a family affair and I'm so glad that my first renovation experience was with them. The floors look great! Thank you for making my home that much more appealing to live in.

Helpful? Yes No
What could this company do to improve their services?
Contact client in the interim to update them on status of floor delivery and to remind them to arrange for any logistics such as booking the elevator for delivery.
Any advice to offer fellow homeowners facing a similar project?
Try to keep the work area as clutter free as possible including removing as much furniture as you can so that the installation can flow quicker.

Jan 30, 2010, Toronto

I had looked all over Toronto for value priced wool carpet for one bedroom. Carpet Mill has an extensive selection of top quality 'ends' and I found a great product. The service and installation were also top. I will be back.

Dec 21, 2009, Toronto

In desperate need of some carpeting on stairs in my house, and after some disappointing service from a few discount carpet places, I ended up at Carpet Mill. Lindsay helped me find some great carpeting at great prices, and never tried to upsell - just advise on my options. I was able to get one of the carpets I needed from some pre-cut runner ends and I saved a ton of money with that option. The other carpet was from one of the many rolls they had and it was very reasonably priced. Installation was arranged for several days after purchase, which felt like a very good turnaround. The 2-man crew that installed was clean and courteous and spent a great deal of time getting the carpet right. They cleaned up their mess and did a very good job, taking extra care working the carpet around some pie stairs that did not make for an easy job. All-in-all I'm very happy with the results and would recommend these guys again.

Aug 24, 2008, Toronto

I arrived at the Carpet Mill - colour swatches in hand - and was immediately overwhelmed by the variety of carpet available. I nneded approximately 25 yards of carpet to do the stairs and a hallway. Aziz saw the desperate look a on my face and came to the rescue. Given the size I required, he recommended that we look at remnant pieces and he showed me a wool carpet that was a perfect match to my colours. We discussed synthetic materials - briefly - and I went back to the wool. At approximately $25 per square yard, it was fantastic deal - especially after I had been quoted $68 a sqaure yard for synthetic at another carpet store. The measure person arrived on time and we finalized that the carpet on the stairs would be bound The installers arrived on time and did a great job of installing the carpet on the floating stairs - not a fast job. Installers stayed late to complete the job. They were efficient and friendly. I will go to Carpet Mill first the next time I am buying carpet.THANK YOU!!!!!

Company Profile

________________________________________________
Carpet Mill , Carpet Retailers, Floor Laying, Flooring retailers,

Products & Services

Products
Carpet, Carpet Remnants, Hardwood, Laminate, Vinyl, Area Rugs, Cork Flooring, Leather Flooring, carpet tile, commercial vinyl, Engineered, vinyl planks, wool carpet, shag carpet, marmorette, runners
Services
Carpet Installation, Hardwood Installation, Delivery, Binding, Custom work, serging, estimates,
Brands
Armstrong, Godfrey Hirst, Shaw, Mohawk, Preverco, Vintage, Coswick, Laurentian,HGTV, Torly's, Wicanders, Stevens Omni, Shnier, Tuftex, Unique Carpets, Carnival Rugs, Shaw Rugs, Karastan, Itec, Richmond, Quickstep, Solida, IVC, Smartstrand, stainmaster,
Styles
Carpet-Wool sisals, Berbers, cut and loop, level loop, friezes, cut piles, Rugs-modern, contemporary, traditional, Vinyl-modern, contemporary
Specialties
Custom rugs, Hand Binding, serging, machine binding, custom runners

Credentials & Financial Information

1993
24 hour refund or exchange on rugs, all remnants, special orders and cut orders are final sale
visa, mastercard, amex,debit, cash
builder-renovator
WRITTEN CONTRACT PROVIDED

In this week's newsletter: Best of season is in full swing!